Select here to go directly to the main text of the page
World Owl Trust - leading the World in Owl Conservation
Saturday 22nd November, 2014

Follow us!

Follow us on facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch our videos on You Tube

The Wildflower Meadow
Did You Know?

We have lost 98% of our wildflower meadows since 1945. The remaining 2% are not safe. Unimproved grassland has been destroyed, and what few areas remain are now ‘oases’ in a sea of intensive cultivation and grazing. Read about the Farm Stewardship Scheme which has been set up to change this situation. The new threat of genetically modified (GM) crops will lead to a further intensification of farming practises, causing an even greater acceleration in the decline of wild plant populations. Some plants are born rare, some achieve rarity, and some plants have rarity thrust upon them – by us. It is up to us to repair the damage before it is too late. Wildflowers are not evenly distributed across the country. Some prefer the milder, wetter climates of the West while others prefer the drier South and East. The colder North has a shorter growing season than the South. Some plants love calcareous (limey) soils while others prefer acid conditions. Only a few are tolerant of both. Some seeds take two years to grow before flowering. These are called ‘Perennials’. So be patient. Wildflower meadows take time to achieve glory.

  Click on logo to access the Excellence Through People Web site World Owl Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1107529
Limited Company Number: 5296745
Positive About Disabled People logo  
The World Owl Trust is a member of BIAZA
The World Owl Trust is a member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) and the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums (EAZA). The Trust relies on a dedicated membership, visitors, donations and legacies.
The World Owl Trust is a member of EAZA

Any comments, errors or problems please contact the webmaster